Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trip Report

Home Sweet Home Snow Sport Instructor Lars's Avatar

Trip Report

Just returned from 4 wonderful days of skiing in Summit Co. I'll post a more report in detail when I get caught up on work but skied Friday in Breck in 5" of fresh powder. Saturday at A Basin in 9" plus, ( knee deep in places), Copper on Sunday in a perfect corduroy day and some fresh snow in the afternoon and Monday at A Basin again in a spectacular morning of fluff and boot top stuff in most places off groom.

Just a very nice time with my Wife who kept up and took some nice photos. BTW, my Rossi S3's performed awsomely everywhere but was much work in the moguls. I'll write a short report on them at some point but overall, i'm estatic over them as well as the new Nordica Fire Arrows.

My favorite pic shot in Resolution Bowl,Name:  DSCN0795.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  87.5 KB

Another at A Basin,Name:  DSCN0766.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  95.6 KB
    all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools

my old home! Haven't skied the Big A since '79. COnditions look really nice
    "If you are lucky enough to be on the mountain.....You are lucky enough"

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So happy for you Lars! Tell me about the s3's being hard in the moguls for you. My moguls skills are so limited that my evaluation of a ski in the mogul isn't very useful.
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

SMJ, They are a perfect out west ski and performed so fantasticly everywhere even in powder moguls where you could plow through the bumps or ski over the upper sides and tops, but when skiing the zipperline they lacked the quickness side to side and the absorption ability just wasn't there. Why? Because of the Rocker tip and lack or rebound stiffness. The tips as I suspect in most rocker skis didn't absorp the energy one needs to help control speed and wanted to send me over the front and out of a comfort zone of balance. Not in all moguls but in the hard snow bumps I found at Breck, I felt like I was embarrassing myself. Soft bumps and bumps with some powder in them was a totally different story. Still, if I were going to concentrate on a bump day, i'd be on my Dirtybirds instead. I don't bring multiple skis on a trip anymore. Run what you brung.

That said, they were spectacular in the powder, powder bumps and mashed potatoes in the late day conditions. Some work to get them on edge doing the corduroy but still smooth with a little brushing involved. some of that could be due to my abilities as a carver but I don't think that was the case. Stable, smooth and balanced at all speeds. Some of this bump slowness could be due to my new boots as they are just a tad too stiff for the feel i'm used to. That's another story.

I love the skis, bottom line. They are what I wanted for the mountains. Now I guess I don't have to write a report on them huh?

Blog Entries
    Great to hear you got out there and had some good snow
    Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Freaq View Post
    Great to hear you got out there and had some good snow
    Thanks, you know, we really had a great time and couldn't have wished for better snow and conditions.

Sure, the Imperial wasn't running at Breck because of high winds and all the back at Copper wasn't great, and Montezuma wasn't open but the fresh powder , some good staches in trees and hero snow as well as a bunch of good powder bumps made it all worthwhile.

Just the fact that I could ski for more than 60 seconds without waiting in a liftline was worth it. I needed that. I was cranky and a prick and now am relaxed and ready for my next trip to Colorado.

My horse knows his own way home Snow Sport Instructor SMJ's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Glad you got your spirits back up again Lars. I know the feeling of the emotional ups and downs.
    I need to be a conqueror, a liberator of my potential, kept prisoner all these years.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars View Post
    I needed that. I was cranky and a prick and now am relaxed and ready for my next trip to Colorado.
    I can dig it, Lars. Sometimes in order to prepare for a trip to CO a guy needs......... a trip to CO =)
    Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid.
    -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Furnished the apartment Skier Village Coach
    Thanks for the report Lars. I may be going out to Colorado to work for few weeks and visit some Villagers. It sounds like you hit it at a good time

Know all the neighbours by name Senior Citizen Representative
    - see the rocking chair by the fire
    March 12, 2012

Hi Village Residents:

Now that I have downloaded photos of my trip to Utah, I would like to give a brief trip report. My Uath adventure started Wednesday Feb 29th and I came back to Washington DC March 7th. The trip was organized by Brian Eardley, my equipment goto guy and former Head Coach (currently J3 Race Coach) of my daughter's Race Club. I've known the guy for 25-30 years and he has been providing me with equipment (hardware) and advice (skiing, racing and resort) ever since. We stayed in the Ogden Marriot which provided a full American buffet breakfast (very yummy) and skied for four days at Powder Mountain (see following picture):

Name:  IMG_0807.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  103.8 KB

It is my understanding that Powder Mountain with 7000+ acres is the LARGEST ski area in North America. Larger than Vail or Whistler/Blackcomb. However, it is sort of misleading, since 5000 acres are only accessible via Cat skiing. The mitigating factor is that for some reason or other, Powder Mountain does not draw a big crowd so that it skis "big" i.e. one encounters few skiers per unit area. I don't know the reason for this, maybe not as accessible as the Cotton Wood Canyons or very little skier ammenities at the area (i.e. hotels, restaurants, condos, luxury homes, quaint ski villages etc). Maybe Mr. Songfta can chip in with the reason. Two other attendess as well as myself were picked up at the SLC airport by Matt (my roommate, former race companion of my daughter's and all around nice guy, see following picture):

Name:  P3021819.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  97.0 KB

Brian provided all participants with 2011-2012 or 2012-2013 powder skis (i.e. full rockers with widths of 115-120 for guys and 90-100 for gals). I was provided with a pair of 2012-2013 Salomon Rocker 2s with a width of 115mm and length of 170cm, see following (me in red jacket, day 2), a birds eye view of all the available skis (day 4, Christinia posing) and most of the participants (day 4, sans Matt and Kurt):

Name:  P3031822.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  84.4 KB Name:  P3041872.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  95.0 KB Name:  P3041870.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  93.2 KB

Day 1: Started out overcast but gradually brightened up and we had blue skies and sun after 11:00 am. Real light fluffy powder up to my mid thighs. If I weren't on powder skis, I don't think that I would have been able to ski it, even though I had my 168 cm Dynastar Legend 8000 with an 80mm waist. Brian said that it was "cold smoke" and I must concur, the snow offered no resistance at all (especially in comparison with Day 2 where it packed down and was much heavier). As a brief powder lesson, Brian told us that "steep and speed" were our friends. Again, I must strongly concur with this statement, since I learned the hard way. In the third picture above, note the "expanse of white" behind Christinia in Blue. That was were I made a descent from my first and only Cat experience on Day 4. To be discussed in detail later.

To be continued. Running out of space.

Think snow,

SCR
    Last edited by CharlieP; March 13th, 2012 at 01:40 PM.
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it ~ George Santayana